Sunday, February 24, 2008

Why Use Irrupt?

I like words and language, and I'm always interested in learning a new word to use in conversation or writing. I subscribe to dictionary.com "Word of the Day" and today's word has me puzzled.

The word is "irrupt." If you're still with me, and interested in my confusion, the first definition is "To burst in forcibly or suddenly; to intrude."

The reason I'm confused is I'm wondering why someone would ever want to use "irrupt" instead of the more commonly-known "erupt?" I haven't researched it, but tt seems to mean the same thing. And while I like learning new words, I don't learn them just to impress. If I learn a word that more accurately says what I want to say, that's great! But in this case, I'm perfectly happy with "erupt."

If anyone has an explanation of when "irrupt" might be more accurate than "erupt," I'd love to know!

P.S. I'm also a lover of proper grammar! I'm very careful to use proper grammar, because it's one of my pet peeves to hear/read someone using improper grammar. I know I make mistakes, but since my grammar is probably better that the "average" American's, it's not pointed out very frequently.

Another day I'll expound on the grammatical errors that irritate me the most!