Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Short Explanation of Why Tim Russert Mattered

I was glued to all things Tim Russert last Friday and through the weekend - on both the internet and television. I couldn't put into words exactly why I felt so incredibly sad about his death and why I wanted to see and learn as much about him as I could.

I just knew there was going to be a big, gaping hole in our world without him! Not just the world of politics, but the entire world. The world of good, authentic, honest, caring, interesting, fun, intelligent people. People who make a real difference in the world!

I'm not sure on which level I most related to him - the northeast U.S. roots we shared, his D.C. connection which is where I grew up, his Catholicism, his sharing of what his father (and entire family) meant to him, his ability to set aside party politics and views to address our country's concerns, his transparency. I related to him on all those levels, and probably more I can't articulate at this point.

It turns out it's okay that I couldn't pull my thoughts together to communicate what I think about Tim Russert, because Drew McClellan has done it for me!

If you want to read a very accurate and succinct piece about why Tim Russert mattered, please read "Tim Russert -- a lesson in branding" on Drew's Marketing Minute.

I really couldn't have said it better myself!